Forums | OpenR

OpenR: R & Statistics /
Essay question about using Bold

Yilei Wu's profile picture

14 May 2022, 12:25 PM

Dear all,

Last Tuesday, I heard a few words that we could not use bold in our essay (I’m not sure, sorry). I wanna confirm that and explain a little about using this format. 

From essay requirement, it is said that we need to ‘write a textbook chapter on the assigned topic’. I checked some textbooks like Biostatistics with R (Babak Shahbaba) and Elementary Statistics (Ron Larson), and these books used bold to highlight some key words. Moreover, due to the format of R markdown I selected, I found that I cannot even distinguish whether these words a subtitle or main texts at the first glance and some keywords I want to emphasize could not be found easily. Thus, I used bold in my essay for readability.

I hope my explanation will be considered.
Peng Zhao's profile picture

14 May 2022, 1:59 PM

This must be a misunderstanding. I did not mean that you could not use bold in the essay. I mean that bold fonts are not common in academic writing, especially in journal papers. Sometimes they are useful to highlight something, but do not abuse them. You can see in this paragraph I use some bold characters for highlighting, but it is unnecessary. This paragraph looks patchy and ugly. Use it wisely.

2 results