Forums | HES 健康与环境科学

Seminars and Events /
Invited talk: Bird-plant frugivorous interactions in fragmented forests, Prof. Xingfeng Si, 2023-12-05

Lu Zhang's profile picture

28 November 2023, 11:25 AM

Speaker: Prof. Xingfeng Si, Professor, School of Ecological and Environmental Sciences, East China Normal University

Host: Prof. Eben Goodale

Date: 2023-12-05

Time: 11:00 am-12:00 pm

Room: ES354

Title: Bird-plant frugivorous interactions in fragmented forests

Abstract:

The interactions between fruiting plants and their frugivores are essential in maintaining biodiversity and ecosystem functions. However, sampling frugivorous interactions are challenging because most mutualistic interactions occur in the treetops, especially in fragmented habitats surrounded by water due to the logistic restrictions. In this talk, I will use a reservoir island system (Thousand Island Lake, China) as an example to share three aspects of our findings. In the beginning, I will introduce the technology of arboreal camera trapping used to collect frugivorous interactions at a large spatial scale with a high temporal resolution. Based on the collected data, I will then discuss how we can build local frugivory networks from regional ecological knowledge. Finally, I will talk about the structure of the avian frugivory networks in our fragmented system and the roles of species in structuring ecological networks.

For online audiences: please join us with Tencent Meeting (ID: 355-3805-6861)

I look forward to seeing you there!

Best Regards,

Lu

Edits to this post:
1 result