Forums | HES 健康与环境科学

Seminars and Events /
Student seminar: Research on Species Diversity in Global Mixed-species Bird Flocks and their Information Flows, Jiahao Wu, 2024-03-28

Wanxin Li's profile picture

22 March 2024, 1:48 PM

Speaker: Jiahao Wu

Date: 2024-03-28

Time: 13:30-14:00 

Room: ES354

Online link:

https://meeting.tencent.com/dm/v169BGHYrPM6

Meeting ID: 668-4466-7997

Title: Research on Species Diversity in Global Mixed-species Bird Flocks and their Information Flows

Abstract:

Mixed-species bird flocks are a fascinating phenomenon of bird species coexisting through cooperation, which goes beyond the competition typically observed among closely related species, thereby enhancing their survival rates. Studying them could contribute to refining theories of species coexistence and provide feasible scientific guidelines for wildlife conservation and recovery in the current global environmental changes. Here, I would like to introduce the diversity of mixed-species bird flocks, including their composition characteristics, and the variation of their phylogenetic structure along latitudinal gradients, and explore their “trait - environment” relationships on a global scale, as discussed in my master's thesis. I will also present the preliminary observations and results of alarming calls and mobbing calls experiments from my field experiments over the past six months.

1 result